Friday, April 28, 2023

YouTube? Tik Tok?

 So I see a lot of people say "I just learned to crochet. I'm going to start a YouTube channel and teach people how to crochet/my patterns/etc!" Please don't do this. If you're new to crochet, or any craft for that matter, don't make a social media account to "help" or "teach" people how to do it. I would encourage a social media account to show your journey with this new craft and let people know it doesn't happen over night and takes persistence. It would be beautiful to see someone's journey and watch them get better and better! Practice makes progress!

However, it's infuriating to see someone who can't tell their ass from their elbow in a craft trying to "teach" people. Please learn the terminology, how to move fluidly and to proper way to do things. Also, if you have small kids, please try to record when they aren't screaming. I would love to see an account that blossoms from "Learn with me!" to "Here's a simple pattern anyone can do and one I started with." Instead of frustrating veterans in the craft, encourage and stand by new people. Let them know they aren't alone and they have someone to learn with. Only a newbie can fully understand, even though we were all new once, it's not the same.

Do you have a crochet social media account? Please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment